Catholic Churches Churches Fires

St. Edwards Roman Catholic Church Fire Photos – April 8th 1971

Around 2 o’clock on the morning of April 8th, 1971 a fire broke out at the historic St. Edwards Catholic Church on Shamokin Street in Shamokin. The blaze was said to have been the worst the city had seen in over 50 years and completely destroyed the 99-year old house of worship.

A little over a month later, it was determined that a fallen vigil candle was likely the cause of the blaze. The investigation concluded that the candle fell from its holder and ignited woolen carpet and spread throughout the church. The large belfry acted as a chimney making it impossible to save the structure.

By October 1974, the rebuilt church rededicated. Today the church continues to serve the Catholic community of Shamokin as Mother Cabrini Catholic Church.

In this exhibit, we present some amazing photos taken by Frank Posca, not only of the fire as it happened but also of the devastating aftermath it left behind.

These photos are being presented courtesy of the Northumberland County Historical Society. Click Here to learn more about the life and work of Frank Posca.

Rare Photos of St. Edward’s Church Fire – April 8th 1971

Front Page Coverage of St. Edward’s Fire – The News-Item, April 8th, 1971

St. Edward’s Fire Cause Determined – News Item, May 24th, 1971

Baptist Churches

The Welsh Baptists of Shamokin

The  Welsh  Baptists  of  Shamokin  enjoyed  religious  worship  for  some  time as  a  mission  of  the  Ashland  congregation,  and  erected  a  frame  church  building on  the  east  side  of  Rock  street  between  Clay  and  Webster.    

In  May, 1884,  they  were  organized  as  a  church  by  Rev.  W.  G.  Watkins,  who  became their  pastor  but  resigned  in  the  following  year;  the  membership  then  united with  the  English  Baptist  and  Welsh  Congregational  churches.

Baptist Churches

The First Baptist Church

No  effort  was  made  to  form  a  Baptist  church  at Shamokin  until  1870,  when  Rev.  A.  B.  Still,  pastor  at  Sunbury,  preached  at Shamokin  occasionally,  and  on  September  3rd  of  that  year  a  meeting  of  thirty- two  persons  with  letters  of  dismissal  from  the  churches  at  Sunbury,  Danville, Trevorton,  and  Shamokin  township  was  held,  at  which  it  was  decided  to  issue a  call  for  a  council  formally  to  constitute  them  a  church.  Pursuant  to  this call  a  council  met  on  the  15th  of  September,  1870,  and  resolved  to  recognize them  as  the  “First  Baptist  Church  of  Shamokin.” 

The  following  were  the first  officers: 

  • Pastor – Rev.  A.  B.  Still 
  • Deacons – John  Renn,  Aaron  Roadarmel
  • Trustees – J.  D.  Roadarmel,  William  McConnell,  John  Renn,  Withington Lake,  and  J.  W.  Young

Among  the  pastors  and  supplies  prior  to  the  year 1884  were  Reverends  Still,  Johnson,  Rush,  Brensinger,  Nathan  Thomas,  O. R.  Thomas,  and  Giles.  Rev.  W.  G.  Watkins,  the  present  pastor,  assumed charge  in  April,  1884;  after  considerable  search  he  found  six  persons  who considered  themselves  members,  but  accessions  were  numerous  and  frequent, and  in  1890  the  present  church  edifice,  a  substantial  two-story  brick  structure on  Lincoln  street,  was  erected.  It  was  dedicated  on  the  21st  of  December, 1890,  Reverends  J.  H.  Harris,  Ph.  D.,  and  J.  Green  Miles  officiating.  A flourishing  Sunday  school  is  connected  with  this  church.

Churches Congregational

The Welsh Congregational Church

The  Welsh  Congregational  Church  was  organized  by  Rev.  Henry  C. Harris:  seven  deacons  were  elected  at  that  time,  but  one  of  whom,  John  W. Thomas,  is  still  an  active  member  of  this  church (1890).  A  hall  on  Sunbury  street was  occupied  for  religious  worship  until  1864,  when  a  frame  church  edifice was  built  on  Rock  street.  The  present  church  building,  a  frame  structure on  Grant  street,  was  erected  in  1870  under  the  supervision  of  a  building committee  composed  of  John  W.  Thomas,  John  Phillips,  and  Henry  Simmons. Since  1875  the  pastors  have  been  Reverends  D.  T.  Davis,  Henry Whitby,  Morris  Hughes,  David  D.  Davis,  and  D.  T.  Davis,  present incumbent.

This  church  originally  included  nearly  the  entire  Welsh  population  of Shamokin.  The  Baptists  and  Methodists  withdrew;  the  former  erected  a church  on  Rock  street,  the  latter  on  Independence  street,  and  since  these organizations  disbanded  a  large  proportion  of  their  membership  has  again become  connected  with  the  Congregational  church,  which  is  the  only  Welsh organization  at  Shamokin  at  the  present  time.

Catholic Churches Churches

Ecce Homo Greek Catholic Church

The  Rev.  John  Wolansky,  from Gallicia,  Austria,  established  the  first  Greek  church  in  the  Ignited  States  in 1884  at  Shenandoah,  Pennsylvania,  and  celebrated  Mass  for  the  adherents of  his  faith  at  Excelsior  in  the  same  year.  During  his  absence  in  Europe the  affairs  of  his  recently  established  congregations  were  conducted  by  Rev. Constantino  Andrushowitch. 

The  erection  of  a  church  edifice  was  undertaken by  Father  Wolansky  upon  his  return;  ground  was  secured  in  the  southeastern part  of  the  borough  of  Shamokin,  and  a  frame  structure,  presenting  some of  the  characteristics  of  the  Byzantine style  of  architecture,  has  been  erected thereon.  It  was  dedicated  with  imposing  ceremonies,  August  19,  1889,  on which  occasion  a  large  concourse  of  people  was  present,  including  excursions from  Shenandoah,  Freeland,  and  Hazelton.  The  membership  of  the  parish is  two  hundred.  The  St.  Cyril  and  Metody  Beneficial  Society,  organized June  20,  1888,  is  an  important  social  adjunct.

Churches Episcopal

Trinity Episcopal Church

The  first  Episcopal  services  at  Shamokin were  held  in  the  Lutheran  church  in  1854-55  by  Rev.  D.  Washburn,  of Pottsville.  In  the  spring  of  1865  Rev.  Rowland  H.  Brown,  of  Lewisburg, held  Episcopal  services  in  the  Presbyterian  church:  an  organization  was effected  not  long  after  through  the  efforts  of  Reverends  Brown  and  G.  W. Shinn,  of  Philadelphia.  The  latter  became  the  first  rector,  remaining  a  little over  a  year. 

During  the  summer  of  1865  a  contract  was  awarded  J.  B.  Gibson for  the  erection  of  a  church  edifice;  in  the  meantime  services  were  held in  the  Presbyterian  church  and  Central  school  house.  It  was  decided  to erect  a  building  twenty-eight  by  seventy-eight  feet  on  the  lot  presented  by Charles  P.  Helfenstein,  and  the  cornerstone  was  laid,  November  7,  1865,  at which  service  Rev.  G.  W.  Shinn  officiated,  assisted  by  the  Reverends  Brown, Gibson,  and  Allen.  The  building  was  almost  completed  when  it  was  entirely destroyed  by  a  violent  wind  storm:  timbers  were  obtained  from  the  ruins, however,  with  which  a  chapel  was  erected  at  a  cost  of  fifteen  hundred  dollars.

Although  services  had  been  held  and  an  organization  effected  in  1865,  there is  no  record  of  any  communion  until  January,  1866.  On  this  occasion  but five  persons  partook  of  the  sacrament:  Charles  P.  Helfenstein  and  wife, William  A.  Kichardson  and  wife,  and  Mrs.  Abbie  Slocum. 

From  the  early part  of  January,  1866,  until  May  of  the  same  year,  worship  was  held  in  the Central  school  building.  The  first  service  in  the  new  chapel  occurred.  May 11,  1866,  when  the  rite  of  confirmation  was  administered  by  Bishop  Vail,  of Kansas,  to  fifteen  persons.  Mr.  Shinn  resigned  on  the  10th  of  February, 1867,  and  since  that  date  the  succession  of  rectors  has  been  as  follows:  Reverends I.  N.  Spear,  I.  H.  H.  Millett,  F.  M.  Bird,  H.  H.  Boyle,  D.  Washburn, Joseph  Wright,  Samuel  Cheevers,  Wilber  F.  Watkins,  Jr.,  and  John  Graham, the  present  incumbent,  who  assumed  charge  in  March,  1890. 

During  Mr. Cheevers’s  administration  the  chapel  was  enlarged,  a  tower  was  erected,  and a  bell  was  placed  therein.  This  building  was  removed  to  the  southern  part of  the  lot  in  1890,  placed  upon  a  stone  foundation,  and  adapted  to  the  purpose of  a  Sunday  school  room  and  general  ”church  workshop.”  The  erection of  a  handsome  stone  church  edifice  at  the  corner  of  the  lot  was  begun  in  the same  year  and  it  is  now  approaching  completion.

Churches Reformed

St. John’s Reformed Church

St.  John’s  Reformed  Church  was  organized  in  1855  by  Rev.  Henry Hoffman,  with  Benjamin  Martzand  Jacob  Smink,  Sr., as  elders,  Daniel  Yost  and D.  C.  Smink  as  deacons,  and  thirty-eight  members.  The  first  services  of  this church  at  Shamokin  were  held  in  1839  by  Rev.  Richard  A.  Fisher,  of  Sunbury,  who  preached  in  the  school  house  on  Dewart  street.  He  was  succeeded by  Rev.  R.  Duenger,  who  served  from  1843  to  1846,  when  Mr.  Fisher  again  resumed pastoral  work  and  served  from  1846  to  1854. 

In  1854  the  Shamokin charge  was  formed,  composed  of  St.  Jacob’s  and  St.  Peter’s  churches,  Shamokin township,  and  this  church;  Rev.  Henry  Hoffman  was  pastor  from 1854  to  1857,  Rev.  Henry  Losch,  D.  D.,  from  1857  to  1858,  and  Rev.  C.  A. Rittenhouse,  from  1858  to  1861.  In  1858  the  Lutheran  and  Reformed  people rented  a  room  in  the  Odd  Fellows’  hall,  where  services  were  held  by  both denominations  on  alternate  Sabbaths. 

During  Mr.  Rittenhouse’s  pastorate two  lots  were  secured  on  Eighth  street  and  considerable  lumber  purchased for  the  erection  of  a  church  edifice,  but  the  project  was  abandoned,  owing to  the  ineligibility  of  the  location  and  the  resignation  of  the  pastor.  The church  was  without  a  pastor  from  1861  to  1864.  and  when  Rev.  H.  H.  W. Hibschman  took  charge  (1864)  but  five  members  remained:  William  Wary and  wife,  D.  C.  Smink  and  wife,  and  Mrs.  Wary.

Services  were  successively  conducted  in  the  school  house  on  Dewart  street, the  school  house  on  Sunbury  street,  the  Presbyterian  church,  the  United  Brethren church,  Odd  Fellows’  hall,  and  the  Academy.  It  was  not  long,  however, until  the  question  of  erecting  a  church  edifice  was  presented.  Money  was collected  through  the  personal  efforts  of  Mr.  Hibschman,  with  the  exception of  some  thirteen  hundred  dollars  which  were  raised  by  a  fair. 

The  building was  erected  by  Daniel  Yost  and  dedicated,  May  5,  1867.  Mr.  Hibschman  resigned in  1868  and  was  succeeded  by  Rev.  C.  Scheels,  1868-71,  and  Rev. D.  W.  Kelly,  1871-75.  During  this  time  the  congregation  had  increased  to such  an  extent  that  it  was  separated  from  the  other  churches  of  the  charge, St.  Jacob’s  and  St.  Peter’s,  and  became  a  pastorate  individually.  As  such  it called  Rev.  D.  O.  Shoemaker,  who  was  pastor  until  1879.  Rev.  T.  J.  Hacker was  ordained  and  installed,  June  17, 1879.  During  the  next  year  the  church and  parsonage  were  repaired,  and  on  Christmas  day,  1883,  the  pastor  announced to  the  congregation  that  their  property  was  entirely  free  from  debt. In  1885  a  frame  building  thirty-six  by  fifty  feet  was  temporarily  erected  at the  rear  of  the  church  building  for  the  use  of  the  infant  department  of  the Sunday  school.

At  a  congregational  meeting  in  1888  the  consistory,  composed  of  Elders Samuel  Yost,  C.  C.  Leader,  R.  S.  Aucker,  D.  Eisenhart,  and  E.  G.  Seiler,  and Deacons  J.  S.  Haas,  F.  G.  Seiler,  C.  J.  Lessig,  J.  S.  Zimmerman,  J.  Zartman,  and  T.  H.  Paul,  were  empowered  to  erect  a  new  church  edifice.  Charles W.  Bolton,  architect,  designed  the  church  and  chapel  in  such  a  manner  that the  latter  could  be  erected  without  interfering  with  the  old  church  building. The  contract  was  awarded  to  Aucker,  Slayman  &  Company,  and  the  chapel was  dedicated,  May  11,  1890,  Rev.  Joseph  H.  Dubbs,  D.  D.,  assisting  the pastor.  This  building,  fronting  on  Grant  street  seventy-one  feet,  with  a depth  of  seventy-four  feet,  is  built  on  a  quarter-circle  plan;  it  is  particularly adapted  to  Sunday  school  purposes,  with  department  rooms  and  class  alcoves in  the  gallery,  and  was  erected  at  a  cost  of  twelve  thousand  dollars. 

The pastorate  of  Rev.  T.  J.  Hacker  has  extended  over  eleven  years  with  the  following as  the  present  (1890)  statistics  of  the  congregation:  members,  seven hundred  thirty,  unconfirmed  members,  six  hundred  fifty,  of  whom  one  hundred fifteen  are  German,  necessitating  German  services  every  alternate  Sabbath; Sunday  school:  officers  and  teachers,  forty-two:  pupils,  seven  hundred  fifty, with  a  mission  school  at  Excelsior  of  one  hundred  twelve  pupils.

The  Sunday  school  was  connected  with  other  schools  from  1858  to  1865, but  since  the  latter  date  has  been  a  separate  organization.  Early  in  the  year 1858  the  Reformed  and  Lutheran  congregations  organized  a  Sunday  school  in Bittenbender’s  hall,  with  D.  C.  Smink,  Reformed,  and  Solomon  Weaver, Lutheran,  as  superintendents.  They  remained  in  this  hall  only  six  or  eight months,  when  the  school  was  removed  to  the  Odd  Fellow’s  hall  on  Sunbury street.  The  two  separated  in  1864,  when  the  Reformed  element  of  the  old school  was  merged  into  a  union  of  Reformed  and  United  Brethren,  with D.  C.  Smink  as  Reformed  superintendent  and  Mahlon  Scholl  as  United Brethren  superintendent.  In  1865  a  distinctively  Reformed  school  was  organized in  the  Penrose  public  school  building;  R.  Williard  was  superintendent one  year,  and  was  succeeded  by  D.  C.  Smink  who  served  until  1872.  In 1867  the  school  occupied  the  basement  of  the  church  on  Eighth  street.  William Wary,  R.  S.  Aucker,  and  John  K.  Haas  were  superintendents  at  different times  after  Mr.  Smink  until  1881,  when  C.  C.  Leader,  the  present  incumbent, was  elected.

Churches Lutheran Churches

Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Several  attempts  were  made  to start  a  mission  among  the  German  Lutherans  of  Shamokin  but  none  were successful  until  1885,  when  Rev.  H.  Weicksel  began  to  hold  German  services in  Trinity  Lutheran  church  every  fourth  Sabbath  in  the  afternoon.  As  the hour  proved  inconvenient,  a  congregational  meeting  was  held  at  Seiler’s  hall, October  31,  1885,  and  at  this  first  business  meeting  of  the  church  ten  persons were  present:  Christian  Lehner,  Samuel  Wagner,  Martin  Hoffman,  Mrs. Sarah  Mack,  Lewis  Marquart,  John  Myer,  John  W.  Kessler,  William  H, Mack,  Miss  Ida  Mack,  and  Rev.  H.  Wicksel;  among  the  results  of  the  meeting was  a  decision  to  hold  German  services  every  fourth  Sabbath  in  Seller’s hall,  to  install  Christian  Lehner  and  Samuel  Wagner  as  deacons,  and  have Lewis  Marquart  as  treasurer. 

The  congregation  was  served  for  some  time by  Rev.  J.  W.  Early,  after  which  Rev.  H.  Weicksel  returned;  the  latter  was succeeded  by  his  son.  Rev.  W.  Weicksel,  who  was  installed  by  his  father, assisted  by  Rev.  A.  P.  Pfleuger,  September  16,  1888.  A  constitution  was adopted,  January  1,  1888,  and  the  organization  was  incorporated  as  the “German  Evangelical  Lutheran  Grace  Church  of  Shamokin”  on  the  11th  of the  following  May.  Rev.  W.  Weicksel  is  the  present  pastor,  and  through his  efforts  the  church  has  now  a  membership  of  seventy-five  communicants. Two  large  lots  at  the  corner  of  Seventh  and  Chestnut  streets  have  been secured  for  the  future  location  of  a  church  building.

The  first  effort  to  establish  a  Sunday  school  was  made,  August  14,  1887, by  Luther  Early,  but  for  three  successive  Sabbaths  the  announcement  for Sunday  school  was  attended  with  no  results.  On  the  afternoon  of  the fifth  appointment  fourteen  children  were  present  and  an  organization  was effected.

Bretheran Churches

United Brethran In Christ

Although  services  had  been  conducted  at Shamokin  by  Rev.  Joseph  Young,  a  clergyman  of  this  denomination,  no organization  was  effected  until  1846,  when,  through  the  efforts  of  Rev.  Samuel Seiders,  a  church  was  formally  organized  with  Jeremiah  Zimmerman.  S. S.  Bird,  George  Krieger,  and  H.  Hagey  as  trustees. 

A  frame  church  edifice was  erected  on  Sunbury  street  in  1848;  it  was  remodeled  and  enlarged  in 1869,  rededicated  on  the  1st  of  August  in  that  year,  and  served  as  the  place of  worship  until  1890,  when  it  was  removed  to  make  way  for  the  new  brick structure  now  approaching  completion.

The  succession  of  pastors  has  been  as  follows: 

  • Samuel  Seiders
  • Jacob  Brewer
  • Joseph  Young
  • Israel  Carpenter 
  • George  Hoffman 
  • George Gilbert 
  • P.  L.  Zimmerman 
  • Wesley  Detrich
  • A.  F.  Yeager
  • John  Swenk
  • G. W.  M.  Rigor
  • G.  A.  Snapp
  • J.  P.  Long
  • G.  A.  Lee 
  • W.  B.  Evers
  • J.  F. Mower
  • J.  R.  Reitzel
  • J.  D.  Kihan
  • George  Brickley 
  • W.  H.  S.  Keys,  D.  D.
  • E.  P.  Funk
  • J.  G.  Stiner
  • Solomon  Merrick
  • E.  W.  Etter,  D.  D. 
  • W.  H. Uhler 
  • M.  J.  Heberly
  • J.  H.  Yonedia 
  • H.  B.  Spayd
  • J.  P.  Cowling

The  Sunday  school  was  organized  in  1861  with  Mahlon  Scholl  as  first superintendent,  and  has  been  successfully  continued  to  the  present  time (1890).

Catholic Churches Churches

St. Stanislaus Kosta Catholic Church

About  thirty  years  ago (1890) a  few Polish  immigrants  located  at  Shamokin  and  soon  after  organized  the  St. Stanislaus  Kostka  Beneficial  Society,  which  ultimately  formed  the  germ  of the  present  church.  Rev.  Joseph  Juszkiewicz  was  finally  sent  to  Shamokin by  the  bishop  of  the  diocese  for  the  purpose  of  organizing  a  congregation from  the  Polish  Catholics  previously  connected  with  St.  Edward’s  church.

A  site  on  the  corner  of  Vine  and  Race  streets  containing  a  frame  house  was purchased  by  that  gentleman,  and  a  small  frame  building  was  erected  thereon in  which  to  hold  services.  In  1874  he  laid  the  foundation  of  the  present brick  edifice,  but  lack  of  funds  prevented  its  completion  for  more  than  seven years,  during  which  time  the  small  frame  church  was  used. 

The  new  structure was  finally  dedicated  by  Bishop  Shanahanon  the  8th  of  December,  1881. Rev.  Florian  Klonowski  succeeded  Father  Juszkiewicz,  July  13,  1876,  and has  been  pastor  to  the  present  time. 

When  the  parochial  school  was  established  Father  Klonowski  gave  up  his  house  to  the  Sisters,  and  erected  the present  commodious  parochial  residence.  Since  the  coming  of  Father  Klonowski  he  has  made  many  improvements  in  the  church  property,  and  worked hard  and  successfully  for  the  spiritual  and  material  prosperity  of  his  congregation, which  now  embraces  over  four  hundred  families.