About thirty years ago (1890) a few Polish immigrants located at Shamokin and soon after organized the St. Stanislaus Kostka Beneficial Society, which ultimately formed the germ of the present church. Rev. Joseph Juszkiewicz was finally sent to Shamokin by the bishop of the diocese for the purpose of organizing a congregation from the Polish Catholics previously connected with St. Edward’s church.
A site on the corner of Vine and Race streets containing a frame house was purchased by that gentleman, and a small frame building was erected thereon in which to hold services. In 1874 he laid the foundation of the present brick edifice, but lack of funds prevented its completion for more than seven years, during which time the small frame church was used.
The new structure was finally dedicated by Bishop Shanahanon the 8th of December, 1881. Rev. Florian Klonowski succeeded Father Juszkiewicz, July 13, 1876, and has been pastor to the present time.
When the parochial school was established Father Klonowski gave up his house to the Sisters, and erected the present commodious parochial residence. Since the coming of Father Klonowski he has made many improvements in the church property, and worked hard and successfully for the spiritual and material prosperity of his congregation, which now embraces over four hundred families.