Several attempts were made to start a mission among the German Lutherans of Shamokin but none were successful until 1885, when Rev. H. Weicksel began to hold German services in Trinity Lutheran church every fourth Sabbath in the afternoon. As the hour proved inconvenient, a congregational meeting was held at Seiler’s hall, October 31, 1885, and at this first business meeting of the church ten persons were present: Christian Lehner, Samuel Wagner, Martin Hoffman, Mrs. Sarah Mack, Lewis Marquart, John Myer, John W. Kessler, William H, Mack, Miss Ida Mack, and Rev. H. Wicksel; among the results of the meeting was a decision to hold German services every fourth Sabbath in Seller’s hall, to install Christian Lehner and Samuel Wagner as deacons, and have Lewis Marquart as treasurer.
The congregation was served for some time by Rev. J. W. Early, after which Rev. H. Weicksel returned; the latter was succeeded by his son. Rev. W. Weicksel, who was installed by his father, assisted by Rev. A. P. Pfleuger, September 16, 1888. A constitution was adopted, January 1, 1888, and the organization was incorporated as the “German Evangelical Lutheran Grace Church of Shamokin” on the 11th of the following May. Rev. W. Weicksel is the present pastor, and through his efforts the church has now a membership of seventy-five communicants. Two large lots at the corner of Seventh and Chestnut streets have been secured for the future location of a church building.
The first effort to establish a Sunday school was made, August 14, 1887, by Luther Early, but for three successive Sabbaths the announcement for Sunday school was attended with no results. On the afternoon of the fifth appointment fourteen children were present and an organization was effected.