The Welsh Congregational Church was organized by Rev. Henry C. Harris: seven deacons were elected at that time, but one of whom, John W. Thomas, is still an active member of this church (1890). A hall on Sunbury street was occupied for religious worship until 1864, when a frame church edifice was built on Rock street. The present church building, a frame structure on Grant street, was erected in 1870 under the supervision of a building committee composed of John W. Thomas, John Phillips, and Henry Simmons. Since 1875 the pastors have been Reverends D. T. Davis, Henry Whitby, Morris Hughes, David D. Davis, and D. T. Davis, present incumbent.
This church originally included nearly the entire Welsh population of Shamokin. The Baptists and Methodists withdrew; the former erected a church on Rock street, the latter on Independence street, and since these organizations disbanded a large proportion of their membership has again become connected with the Congregational church, which is the only Welsh organization at Shamokin at the present time.