The Rev. John Wolansky, from Gallicia, Austria, established the first Greek church in the Ignited States in 1884 at Shenandoah, Pennsylvania, and celebrated Mass for the adherents of his faith at Excelsior in the same year. During his absence in Europe the affairs of his recently established congregations were conducted by Rev. Constantino Andrushowitch.
The erection of a church edifice was undertaken by Father Wolansky upon his return; ground was secured in the southeastern part of the borough of Shamokin, and a frame structure, presenting some of the characteristics of the Byzantine style of architecture, has been erected thereon. It was dedicated with imposing ceremonies, August 19, 1889, on which occasion a large concourse of people was present, including excursions from Shenandoah, Freeland, and Hazelton. The membership of the parish is two hundred. The St. Cyril and Metody Beneficial Society, organized June 20, 1888, is an important social adjunct.