Catholic Churches Churches Fires

St. Edwards Roman Catholic Church Fire Photos – April 8th 1971

Around 2 o’clock on the morning of April 8th, 1971 a fire broke out at the historic St. Edwards Catholic Church on Shamokin Street in Shamokin. The blaze was said to have been the worst the city had seen in over 50 years and completely destroyed the 99-year old house of worship.

A little over a month later, it was determined that a fallen vigil candle was likely the cause of the blaze. The investigation concluded that the candle fell from its holder and ignited woolen carpet and spread throughout the church. The large belfry acted as a chimney making it impossible to save the structure.

By October 1974, the rebuilt church rededicated. Today the church continues to serve the Catholic community of Shamokin as Mother Cabrini Catholic Church.

In this exhibit, we present some amazing photos taken by Frank Posca, not only of the fire as it happened but also of the devastating aftermath it left behind.

These photos are being presented courtesy of the Northumberland County Historical Society. Click Here to learn more about the life and work of Frank Posca.

Rare Photos of St. Edward’s Church Fire – April 8th 1971

Front Page Coverage of St. Edward’s Fire – The News-Item, April 8th, 1971

St. Edward’s Fire Cause Determined – News Item, May 24th, 1971

Catholic Churches Churches

Ecce Homo Greek Catholic Church

The  Rev.  John  Wolansky,  from Gallicia,  Austria,  established  the  first  Greek  church  in  the  Ignited  States  in 1884  at  Shenandoah,  Pennsylvania,  and  celebrated  Mass  for  the  adherents of  his  faith  at  Excelsior  in  the  same  year.  During  his  absence  in  Europe the  affairs  of  his  recently  established  congregations  were  conducted  by  Rev. Constantino  Andrushowitch. 

The  erection  of  a  church  edifice  was  undertaken by  Father  Wolansky  upon  his  return;  ground  was  secured  in  the  southeastern part  of  the  borough  of  Shamokin,  and  a  frame  structure,  presenting  some of  the  characteristics  of  the  Byzantine style  of  architecture,  has  been  erected thereon.  It  was  dedicated  with  imposing  ceremonies,  August  19,  1889,  on which  occasion  a  large  concourse  of  people  was  present,  including  excursions from  Shenandoah,  Freeland,  and  Hazelton.  The  membership  of  the  parish is  two  hundred.  The  St.  Cyril  and  Metody  Beneficial  Society,  organized June  20,  1888,  is  an  important  social  adjunct.

Catholic Churches Churches

St. Stanislaus Kosta Catholic Church

About  thirty  years  ago (1890) a  few Polish  immigrants  located  at  Shamokin  and  soon  after  organized  the  St. Stanislaus  Kostka  Beneficial  Society,  which  ultimately  formed  the  germ  of the  present  church.  Rev.  Joseph  Juszkiewicz  was  finally  sent  to  Shamokin by  the  bishop  of  the  diocese  for  the  purpose  of  organizing  a  congregation from  the  Polish  Catholics  previously  connected  with  St.  Edward’s  church.

A  site  on  the  corner  of  Vine  and  Race  streets  containing  a  frame  house  was purchased  by  that  gentleman,  and  a  small  frame  building  was  erected  thereon in  which  to  hold  services.  In  1874  he  laid  the  foundation  of  the  present brick  edifice,  but  lack  of  funds  prevented  its  completion  for  more  than  seven years,  during  which  time  the  small  frame  church  was  used. 

The  new  structure was  finally  dedicated  by  Bishop  Shanahanon  the  8th  of  December,  1881. Rev.  Florian  Klonowski  succeeded  Father  Juszkiewicz,  July  13,  1876,  and has  been  pastor  to  the  present  time. 

When  the  parochial  school  was  established  Father  Klonowski  gave  up  his  house  to  the  Sisters,  and  erected  the present  commodious  parochial  residence.  Since  the  coming  of  Father  Klonowski  he  has  made  many  improvements  in  the  church  property,  and  worked hard  and  successfully  for  the  spiritual  and  material  prosperity  of  his  congregation, which  now  embraces  over  four  hundred  families.

Catholic Churches Churches

St. Edward’s Catholic Church

St.  Edward’s  Catholic  Church  is  the  oldest  religious  organization  at Shamokin,  and  built  the  first  church  in  the  town.  During  the  construction of  the  Danville  and  Pottsville  railroad  a  large  number  of  Catholics  were employed  on  that  work,  and  as  early  as  1838  Catholic  services  were  held  in Shamokin  by  the  pastors  of  Pottsville  and  Minersville.  About  one  acre  of land  for  a  church  and  cemetery  was  secured  in  the  west  end  of  the  village  (the present  site  of  the  knob  factory),  and  in  the  spring  of  1839  sufficient  money had  been  raised  to  erect  a  small  unplastered  frame  church  twenty  by  thirty-two  feet  in  dimensions  on  the  southwest  corner  of  the  lot. 

Patrick  Reilly, master  mechanic  in  the  railroad  shops,  and  Matthew  Brannigan  were  the leading  spirits  in  the  enterprise,  and  Stephen  Bittenbender  put  up  the  building. It  was  dedicated  as  St.  Edward’s,  October  11,  1840,  by  Bishop  Kenrick  of  Philadelphia.  The  little  congregation  was  visited  occasionally  by the  pastors  of  the  Pottsville,  Minersville,  Danville,  and  Milton  churches  and sometimes  a  missionary  would  put  in  his  appearance,  and  thus  the  faith  was kept  alive  in  the  hearts  of  the  early  Catholics  of  Shamokin.  From  October 1854,  until  October,  1857,  Rev.  Michael  Sheridan,  pastor  of  St.  Joseph’s church  at  Danville,  had  charge  of  the  congregation.  He  was  succeeded  by Rev.  Edward  Murray,  who  served  the  Shamokin  congregation  nearly  nine years.

In  September,  1866,  Rev.  J.  J.  Koch,  then  pastor  of  St.  Joseph’s  of  Milton, was  appointed  the  first  resident  pastor  of  St.  Edward’s,  with  Trevorton and  Locust  Gap  as  missions.  He  immediately  began  the  work  of  building up  and  infusing  new  life  into  his  congregation.  The  present  church site  was  purchased  at  a  cost  of  thirty-four  hundred  dollars ;  the  old  building was  torn  down  in  November,  1866,  and  rebuilt,  considerably  enlarged,  on  the new  site.  In  the  spring  of  1867  it  was  again  enlarged  to  accommodate  the growing  congregation.  In  the  spring  of  1869  a  lot  adjoining  the  church was  bought  for  nine  hundred  dollars  and  the  present  substantial  parochial residence  erected  thereon  at  a  cost  of  eight  thousand  five  hundred  dollars.

The  congregation  increased  so  rapidly  that  a  new  church  became  an  imperative necessity,  and  in  the  summer  of  1872  ground  was  broken  for  the  foundation.   On  the  14th  of  September  following  Father  Koch  laid  the  first stone  in  the  walls  of  the  present  imposing  structure,  of  which  the  cornerstone was  laid,  May  23,  1873,  by  Bishop  O’Hara  of  Scranton,  in  the  presence of  a  large  assemblage  which  gathered  to  witness  the  impressive  ceremonies.

The  pastor  let  the  contract  for  the  entire  stonework,  but  after  working  six weeks  the  contractor  abandoned  the  work.  Not  to  be  thwarted  in  his  cherished plans,  Father  Koch  at  once  took  charge  of  the  construction  of  the building,  and,  notwithstanding  his  numerous  pastoral  duties,  he  hired  the masons  and  daily  superintended  the  work  until  the  massive  stone  walls  were ready  for  the  roof.  By  December,  1873,  the  building  was  roofed,  and  on Christmas  morning  Father  Koch  celebrated  Mass  in  the  basement. 

Though much  was  accomplished,  much  still  remained  to  be  done,  and  in  the  following spring  work  was  resumed.  The  walls  were  finished,  the  massive  tower built,  a  pavement  laid  around  the  church,  and  the  basement,  which  is  ten feet  high  in  the  clear,  plastered  and  fitted  up  for  divine  worship.  The  entire structure  is  built  of  white  cut  sandstone,  quarried  from  the  mountain about  one  mile  from  Shamokin.  It  is  sixty-four  by  one  hundred  twenty-five feet  in  size,  and  the  tower  is  two  hundred  seven  feet  high.  The  interior  is fifty-six  by  one  hundred  nineteen  feet  in  dimensions,  and  the  ceiling  is  forty- two  feet  high.  The  building  is  finished  in  the  Corinthian  and  Romanesque style,  and  is  the  largest  and  costliest  church  edifice  in  Northumberland county.

The  lack  of  funds  prevented  Father  Koch  from  completing  the  interior, and  from  Christmas,  1873,  until  June,  1880,  the  congregation  worshiped  in the  basement.  In  November,  1876,  a  chime  of  four  bells  was  hung  in  the tower,  weighing,  with  mountings,  eight  thousand  five  hundred  pounds.  In 1879,  the  contract  for  finishing  the  interior  (except  frescoing)  was  given  to Joseph  Nesbit,  of  Lewisburg,  and  on  the  1st  of  January,  1880,  it  was  ready for  the  painter’s  brush. 

The  frescoing  required  four  months,  and  was  done by  a  well  known  Philadelphia  artist.  Over  the  main  altar  are  life-size  paintings of  the  Crucifixion,  St.  Patrick,  and  St.  Edward,  the  patron  of  the  church. In  the  center  of  the  ceiling  is  a  fresco  twenty-two  feet  in  diameter  representing the  resurrection  of  Christ,  surrounded  by  figures  of  the  four  Evangelists, and  around  the  walls  are  paintings  of  the  twelve  Apostles.  Handsome  altars, beautiful  stained  glass  windows,  and  a  new  pipe-organ  were  also  put  in  at this  time. 

The  church  was dedicated  with  imposing  ceremonies,  June  6th, 1880,  by  Bishop  Shanahan,  who  delivered  the  dedicatory  address,  his  theme being  “The  Infallibility  of  the  Church.”  A  large  number  of  priests  were present,  and  special  trains  brought  to  Shamokin  hundreds  of  people  who were  anxious  to  witness  the  dedication.

Many  costly  improvements  have  since  been  made,  which  add  to  the  artistic appearance  and  beauty  of  the  interior.  Two  fine  pieces  of  statuary,  representing, respectively,  “Christ  meeting  His  Mother  on  His  way  to  Calvary” and  “The  Descent  of  the  Cross,”  one  on  each  side  of  the  sanctuary,  are especially  noticeable.  These  were  imported  from  France  by  Father  Koch. The  whole  building  is  lighted  with  electricity  and  heated  with  steam.  Its seating  capacity  is  over  one  thousand,  while  as  many  as  fourteen  hundred people  have  been  gathered  within  its  walls.  The  total  cost  of  the  entire  building  and  furniture  as  it  stands  today  was  about  fifty  thousand  dollars.

The  congregation  numbers  over  three  thousand  souls,  and  takes  pride  in its  very  large  and  prosperous  Sunday  school,  which  meets  in  the  basement  of the  church.  This  was  organized  soon  after  Father  Koch  assumed  the  pastorate, and  has  kept  pace  with  the  growth  of  the  congregation.  To  Father Koch’s  indefatigable  labors  and  wise  management  is  principally  due  the  rapid growth  of  the  Catholic  church  in  Shamokin.  From  the  day  he  came  to  the town  until  the  present  he  has  toiled  faithfully  in  this  portion  of  God’s  vineyard. He  is  loved  by  the  Catholics  of  the  borough,  and  respected  by  all  for his  high  Christian  character  and  the  grand  work  that  he  has  accomplished for  his  people.

Catholic Churches Churches Event Programs History Books Online Library

St. Edward’s Roman Catholic Church – Golden Jubilee Program, February 27th, 1913

This publication is provided courtesy of David Van Doren.