Churches Reformed

St. John’s Reformed Church

St.  John’s  Reformed  Church  was  organized  in  1855  by  Rev.  Henry Hoffman,  with  Benjamin  Martzand  Jacob  Smink,  Sr., as  elders,  Daniel  Yost  and D.  C.  Smink  as  deacons,  and  thirty-eight  members.  The  first  services  of  this church  at  Shamokin  were  held  in  1839  by  Rev.  Richard  A.  Fisher,  of  Sunbury,  who  preached  in  the  school  house  on  Dewart  street.  He  was  succeeded by  Rev.  R.  Duenger,  who  served  from  1843  to  1846,  when  Mr.  Fisher  again  resumed pastoral  work  and  served  from  1846  to  1854. 

In  1854  the  Shamokin charge  was  formed,  composed  of  St.  Jacob’s  and  St.  Peter’s  churches,  Shamokin township,  and  this  church;  Rev.  Henry  Hoffman  was  pastor  from 1854  to  1857,  Rev.  Henry  Losch,  D.  D.,  from  1857  to  1858,  and  Rev.  C.  A. Rittenhouse,  from  1858  to  1861.  In  1858  the  Lutheran  and  Reformed  people rented  a  room  in  the  Odd  Fellows’  hall,  where  services  were  held  by  both denominations  on  alternate  Sabbaths. 

During  Mr.  Rittenhouse’s  pastorate two  lots  were  secured  on  Eighth  street  and  considerable  lumber  purchased for  the  erection  of  a  church  edifice,  but  the  project  was  abandoned,  owing to  the  ineligibility  of  the  location  and  the  resignation  of  the  pastor.  The church  was  without  a  pastor  from  1861  to  1864.  and  when  Rev.  H.  H.  W. Hibschman  took  charge  (1864)  but  five  members  remained:  William  Wary and  wife,  D.  C.  Smink  and  wife,  and  Mrs.  Wary.

Services  were  successively  conducted  in  the  school  house  on  Dewart  street, the  school  house  on  Sunbury  street,  the  Presbyterian  church,  the  United  Brethren church,  Odd  Fellows’  hall,  and  the  Academy.  It  was  not  long,  however, until  the  question  of  erecting  a  church  edifice  was  presented.  Money  was collected  through  the  personal  efforts  of  Mr.  Hibschman,  with  the  exception of  some  thirteen  hundred  dollars  which  were  raised  by  a  fair. 

The  building was  erected  by  Daniel  Yost  and  dedicated,  May  5,  1867.  Mr.  Hibschman  resigned in  1868  and  was  succeeded  by  Rev.  C.  Scheels,  1868-71,  and  Rev. D.  W.  Kelly,  1871-75.  During  this  time  the  congregation  had  increased  to such  an  extent  that  it  was  separated  from  the  other  churches  of  the  charge, St.  Jacob’s  and  St.  Peter’s,  and  became  a  pastorate  individually.  As  such  it called  Rev.  D.  O.  Shoemaker,  who  was  pastor  until  1879.  Rev.  T.  J.  Hacker was  ordained  and  installed,  June  17, 1879.  During  the  next  year  the  church and  parsonage  were  repaired,  and  on  Christmas  day,  1883,  the  pastor  announced to  the  congregation  that  their  property  was  entirely  free  from  debt. In  1885  a  frame  building  thirty-six  by  fifty  feet  was  temporarily  erected  at the  rear  of  the  church  building  for  the  use  of  the  infant  department  of  the Sunday  school.

At  a  congregational  meeting  in  1888  the  consistory,  composed  of  Elders Samuel  Yost,  C.  C.  Leader,  R.  S.  Aucker,  D.  Eisenhart,  and  E.  G.  Seiler,  and Deacons  J.  S.  Haas,  F.  G.  Seiler,  C.  J.  Lessig,  J.  S.  Zimmerman,  J.  Zartman,  and  T.  H.  Paul,  were  empowered  to  erect  a  new  church  edifice.  Charles W.  Bolton,  architect,  designed  the  church  and  chapel  in  such  a  manner  that the  latter  could  be  erected  without  interfering  with  the  old  church  building. The  contract  was  awarded  to  Aucker,  Slayman  &  Company,  and  the  chapel was  dedicated,  May  11,  1890,  Rev.  Joseph  H.  Dubbs,  D.  D.,  assisting  the pastor.  This  building,  fronting  on  Grant  street  seventy-one  feet,  with  a depth  of  seventy-four  feet,  is  built  on  a  quarter-circle  plan;  it  is  particularly adapted  to  Sunday  school  purposes,  with  department  rooms  and  class  alcoves in  the  gallery,  and  was  erected  at  a  cost  of  twelve  thousand  dollars. 

The pastorate  of  Rev.  T.  J.  Hacker  has  extended  over  eleven  years  with  the  following as  the  present  (1890)  statistics  of  the  congregation:  members,  seven hundred  thirty,  unconfirmed  members,  six  hundred  fifty,  of  whom  one  hundred fifteen  are  German,  necessitating  German  services  every  alternate  Sabbath; Sunday  school:  officers  and  teachers,  forty-two:  pupils,  seven  hundred  fifty, with  a  mission  school  at  Excelsior  of  one  hundred  twelve  pupils.

The  Sunday  school  was  connected  with  other  schools  from  1858  to  1865, but  since  the  latter  date  has  been  a  separate  organization.  Early  in  the  year 1858  the  Reformed  and  Lutheran  congregations  organized  a  Sunday  school  in Bittenbender’s  hall,  with  D.  C.  Smink,  Reformed,  and  Solomon  Weaver, Lutheran,  as  superintendents.  They  remained  in  this  hall  only  six  or  eight months,  when  the  school  was  removed  to  the  Odd  Fellow’s  hall  on  Sunbury street.  The  two  separated  in  1864,  when  the  Reformed  element  of  the  old school  was  merged  into  a  union  of  Reformed  and  United  Brethren,  with D.  C.  Smink  as  Reformed  superintendent  and  Mahlon  Scholl  as  United Brethren  superintendent.  In  1865  a  distinctively  Reformed  school  was  organized in  the  Penrose  public  school  building;  R.  Williard  was  superintendent one  year,  and  was  succeeded  by  D.  C.  Smink  who  served  until  1872.  In 1867  the  school  occupied  the  basement  of  the  church  on  Eighth  street.  William Wary,  R.  S.  Aucker,  and  John  K.  Haas  were  superintendents  at  different times  after  Mr.  Smink  until  1881,  when  C.  C.  Leader,  the  present  incumbent, was  elected.