Baptist Churches

The First Baptist Church

No  effort  was  made  to  form  a  Baptist  church  at Shamokin  until  1870,  when  Rev.  A.  B.  Still,  pastor  at  Sunbury,  preached  at Shamokin  occasionally,  and  on  September  3rd  of  that  year  a  meeting  of  thirty- two  persons  with  letters  of  dismissal  from  the  churches  at  Sunbury,  Danville, Trevorton,  and  Shamokin  township  was  held,  at  which  it  was  decided  to  issue a  call  for  a  council  formally  to  constitute  them  a  church.  Pursuant  to  this call  a  council  met  on  the  15th  of  September,  1870,  and  resolved  to  recognize them  as  the  “First  Baptist  Church  of  Shamokin.” 

The  following  were  the first  officers: 

  • Pastor – Rev.  A.  B.  Still 
  • Deacons – John  Renn,  Aaron  Roadarmel
  • Trustees – J.  D.  Roadarmel,  William  McConnell,  John  Renn,  Withington Lake,  and  J.  W.  Young

Among  the  pastors  and  supplies  prior  to  the  year 1884  were  Reverends  Still,  Johnson,  Rush,  Brensinger,  Nathan  Thomas,  O. R.  Thomas,  and  Giles.  Rev.  W.  G.  Watkins,  the  present  pastor,  assumed charge  in  April,  1884;  after  considerable  search  he  found  six  persons  who considered  themselves  members,  but  accessions  were  numerous  and  frequent, and  in  1890  the  present  church  edifice,  a  substantial  two-story  brick  structure on  Lincoln  street,  was  erected.  It  was  dedicated  on  the  21st  of  December, 1890,  Reverends  J.  H.  Harris,  Ph.  D.,  and  J.  Green  Miles  officiating.  A flourishing  Sunday  school  is  connected  with  this  church.