Churches Methodist

Second Methodist Church

The  first  movement  toward  the establishment  of  this  church  was  made  by  Rev.  F.  B.  Riddle,  who  began  to preach  in  a  Coal  township  school  house  near  the  western  limit  of  the  borough (the  region  then  known  as  Scotch  Hill),  in  August,  1882.  A  great  religious interest  had  been  awakened  in  this  neighborhood  during  the  spring  of  that year  by  Rev.  George  J.  Byer,  an  itinerant  evangelist,  who  held  a  series  of revival  services  there,  and  the  converts  thus  made  were  the  nucleus  around which  the  congregation  gathered. 

Through  the  influence  of  Rev.  F.  B. Riddle,  Presiding  Elder  Rev.  M.  L.  Smyser  appointed  Rev.  M.  J.  Runyan  to West  Shamokin  circuit,  formed  of  West  Shamokin,  Uniontown,  Springfield, and  Bear  Valley.  The  church  was  connected  with  this  circuit  until  March, 1890,  since  which  time  it  has  supported  a  minister  individually. 

A  lot  was purchased  on  the  corner  of  Third  and  Chestnut  streets  for  four  hundred  dollars, Aucker,  Slayman  &  Company  contracted  for  the  erection  of  the  building, and  the  audience  room  was  dedicated  by  Reverends  S.  C.  Swallow  and  J.  A. DeMoyer,  February  18,  1883.  In  the  spring  of  1888  a  vestibule  was  added and  the  basement  finished  for  a  Sunday  school  room.

Rev.  M.  J.  Runyan  was  pastor  from  August  6,  1882,  to  March  21,  1883; E.  H.  AVitman,  from  March  21,  1883,  to  March  27.  1S84;  R.  S.  Taylor,  from March  27,  1884,  to  March  27,  l885;  D.  F.  Stiles,  from  March  27,  1885,  to March  15,  1887;  V.  W.  Rue.  from  March  15,  1887,  to  March  25,  1890,  when the  present  pastor (1890)  Rev.  J.  Horning,  took  charge.

The  Sunday  school  was  organized  with  A.  M.  Osmun  as  superintendent.