Churches Methodist

Methodist Episcopal Church

The  first  Methodist  sermon  at  Shamokin was  preached  in  1837  by  Rev.  Charles  E.  Brown,  junior  preacher  on  the Sunbury  circuit.  He  was  led  through  the  woods  from  Oak  Grove,  then known  as  Dark  Corner,  by  Benjamin  McClow,  and  on  his  arrival  was  entertained by  Ziba  Bird.  The  first  service  was  held  in  a  school  house  on Dewart  street,  and  the  audience  was  composed  of  nearly  all  the  inhabitants of  the  place,  about  twenty  in  number.  Mr.  Brown  favored  his  hearers  with a  discourse  lasting  over  an  hour. 

The  organization  of  a  class  was  effected in  June,  1838,  by  Rev.  Henry  Dill,  minister  on  the  Sunbury  circuit;   the members  were  Sylvanus  S.  Bird,  leader,  his  wife  Sarah  Bird,  Benjamin  McClow  and  wife  Rebecca,  Jehu  John  and  wife  Patience,  Joseph  Bird,  and  Pemberton  Bird.  Regular  services  were  conducted  on  alternate  Sundays  in  the  old school  house  and  the  prayer  meetings  were  held  at  the  house  of  Benjamin McClow.  The  First  Methodist  revival  was  held  in  the  new  school  house  on Sunbury  street  soon  after  its  completion.  In  the  fall  of  1841  a  camp  meeting, conducted  by  Reverends  John  Ball  and  Gideon  H.  Day,  was  held  in  a grove  near  the  intersection  of  Commerce  and  Mt.  Carmel  streets,  at  which many  members  were  added  to  the  church.

On  the  21st  of  August,  1856,  a  meeting  of  the  male  members  was  called in  the  school  building  to  consider  the  advisability  of  erecting  a  church  edifice. Pemberton  Bird  presided  and  acted  as  secretary;  it  was  decided  to  erect  a church  building  sixty  by  forty-five  feet,  the  height  of  the  basement  to  be twelve  feet  and  that  of  the  audience  room  seventeen  feet,  and  to  accept  Judge William  L.  Helfeustein’s  offer  of  building  lots.  On  the  27th  of  the  same month  a  special  meeting  was  called  by  Rev.  John  Taneyhill  to  make  further arrangements;  on  that  date  the  first  board  of  trustees  was  appointed,  consisting of  Pemberton  Bird,  George  Weaver,  John  Shipp,  F.  A.  Clark,  Benjamin McClow,  George  H.  Coder,  David  Chidister,  Joseph  Reader,  and  D.  S.  Miller, of  whom  the  last  named  still  retains  that  office  and  is  now  president  of  the  board.

September  18,  1850, a  meeting  was  held  in  the  school  house.  Rev.  N.  W. Colburn  presiding,  when  a  draft  for  the  new  building was  presented  by  Benjamin McClow,  and  approved  by  all  present.  The  first  subscription  books were  circulated  by  Pemberton  Bird  and  John  Shipp;  July  6,  1857.  a  church seal  was  adopted  bearing  the  inscription  “The  M.  E.  Church  at  Shamokin,” with  the  device  of  an  open  Bible  in  the  center.  In  1857  Rev.  M.  L.  Drum with  his  own  hands  broke  ground  for  the  new  church  building.  The enterprise  was  postponed,  however,  from  time  to  time,  on  account  of  disputes as  to  location  among  the  members.  At  a  meeting  on  the  20th  of  April,  1859, the  pastor,  H.  Van  Gasken,  F.  A.  Clark,  John  Shipp,  G.  H.  Coder,  and  D. S.  Miller  were  added  to  the  committee  to  secure  subscriptions,  and  J.  L. Gilger  was  awarded  the  contract  for  two  thousand  three  hundred  dollars. In  1866  a  parsonage  was  built  at  a  cost  of  twenty-five  hundred  dollars,  and the  church  was  remodeled  at  a  cost  of  about  two  thousand  dollars.

Measures  were  first  taken  for  the  erection  of  the  present  church  edifice, April  2,  1882,  when  A.  M.  Osmun,  Charles  Latham,  Oscar  Strombach,  John B.  Dottty,  William  Umpleby,  James  Smith,  Mrs.  D.  S.  Miller,  Mrs.  J.  P. Miller,  and  Miss  Emma  Bird  were  appointed  to  assist  the  trustees — D.  S. Miller,  W.  L.  Gilger,  A.  A.  Heim,  M.  Emes,  Robert  Goodwill,  Isaac  May, Sr.,  J.  F.  Eisenhart,  Wilham  K.  Snyder,  and  William  H.  Moore — in  securing subscriptions.  At  a  meeting  on  April  30th,  the  following  building  committee was  appointed:  Withington  Lake,  Philip  Thomas,  Anthony  Smith, A.  M.  Osmun,  and  T.  H.  Lippiatt.    The  contract  was  awarded  to  Jacob Mutchler  and  John  P.  Miller,  who  commenced  work,  June  4,  1883,  under  the direct  supervision  of  A.  A.  Heim. 

The  cornerstone  was  laid,  August  2, 1883,  by  Presiding  Elder  M.  L.  Smyser,  assisted  by  Rev.  John  Donahue, who  delivered  the  address.  During  the  progress  of  the  work  the  congregation worshiped  in  the  Evangelical  church  on  Sunbury  street,  and  the  class meetings  were  held  in  a  small  building  erected  from  timbers  of  the  old church. 

The  lecture  room  or  basement  was  dedicated  and  occupied  as  a  place of  worship,  December  23,  1883,  Rev.  M.  L.  Smyser  preaching  both  morning and  evening.  The  finances  were  in  charge  of  Rev.  S.  C.  Swallow,  and  over five  thousand  dollars  were  collected.  After  the  dedication  of  the  basement, work  on  the  building  ceased  until  the  winter  of  1885-86,  when,  upon  the strong  solicitation  of  the  Ladies’  Aid  Society,  and  their  offer  to  assist  in raising  money  to  complete  the  edifice,  the  trustees  were  induced  to  resume work,  and  a  new  committee,  composed  of  D.  S.  Miller,  A.  A.  Heim,  and William  K.  Snyder,  was  appointed  to  carry  out  the  project.  The  main  audience room  was  finished  and  at  length  dedicated,  February  6,  1887,  Rev. George  W.  Miller  presiding,  when  the  amount  realized  was  somewhat  in excess  of  the  remaining  debt — six  thousand  five  hundred  dollars.  The total  cost  of  the  whole  structure  was  about  twenty-five  thousand  dollars.

The  following  is  a  list  of  pastors  since  the  first  class  was  organized:

  • 1838 – H. G. Dill, John Hall
  • 1839 – John Rhodes, William Hirst
  • 1840 – John Rhodes, John Ball
  • 1841 – John Ball, G. H. Day
  • 1842 – George Bergstresser, William Baird
  • 1843 – Alem Brittain, Jacob Montgomery
  • 1844 – Alem Brittain, John W. Tongue 
  • 1845 – J. W. Haughawaut, J. McMurray 
  • 1846 – J. W. Haughawaut, Thomas Barnhart 
  • 1847 – Peter McEnally, H. Huffman
  • 1848 – James Ewing, J. P. Simpson 
  • 1849 – James Ewing, William Gwiun 
  • 1850 – John Stine, William Gwinn 
  • 1851 – John Stine, Albert Hartman 
  • 1852 – Joseph Ross, T. M. Goodfellow 
  • 1853 – Joseph Ross, Asbury Guyer 
  • 1854 – J. G. McKeehan, James Gums 
  • 1855 – J. G. McKeehan, B. P. King 
  • 1856 – Thomas Taneyhill, N. W. Colburn 
  • 1857 – Thomas Taneyhill, M.  L. Drum
  • 1858 – George Warren, F.  B. Riddle 
  • 1859 – George Warren, F.  B. Riddle
  • 1860 – Elisha Butler, J.  P. Swanger 
  • 1861 – Elisha Butler, J.  A. Dixon 
  • 1862 – A.  M.  Creighton, B. F. Stevens, S. C. Swallow
  • 1863-66 – J. F. Porte
  • 1866-69 – F. B. Riddle
  • 1869-72 – N. S. Buckingham
  • 1872-75 – J. C. Clark
  • 1875-77 – W. Lee Spottswood, D.  D. 
  • 1877-80 – Thomas M. Reese
  • 1880-82 – J. S. McMurray, D.  D.
  • 1882-85 – F. B. Riddle 
  • 1885-88 – S. M. Frost, D. D.
  • 1888-90 – John B. Polsgrove

The  semi-centennial  of  this  church  was  celebrated,  June  23-25,  1888. At  this  service  quite  a  number  of  the  former  pastors  were  present,  and,  after a  very  interesting  program  of  three  days’  duration,  the  meeting  closed  by  a cancellation  of  the  church  debt  and  the  burning  of  the  bonds.

The  Sunday  school  was  first  organized  by  Rev.  James  Gurus,  junior preacher  on  the  circuit,  with  twenty-five  scholars  and  Pemberton  Bird  as superintendent.  It  now  numbers  nearly  twelve  hundred  scholars,  has  a  fine library,  and  is  in  a  very  flourishing  condition.