Churches Methodist

The Primitive Methodist Church

The  Primitive  Methodist  Church  was  first  organized  as  a  mission,  through the  efforts  of  Rev.  Daniel  Savage,  November  20,  1873.  There  were  but eleven  original  members: 

  • James  T.  Harris
  • Thomas  Lovel
  • William  Owens
  • Anthony  Smith 
  • Jonathan  Tillet 
  • Benjamin  Hudson 
  • Ellen  Hudson 
  • Lizzie Hudson 
  • Thomas  James 
  • Job  Lovel
  • David  Tillet

Their  first  place  of worship  was  the  United  Brethren  church,  where  services  were  conducted until  1875.  At  this  time  a  house  of  worship  was  erected  which  was  occupied until  1880.  In  1876  the  membership  numbered  sixty,  and  in  July  of  that year  they  were  organized  as  a  self-sustaining  church  by  Rev.  Francis  Gray, pastor  at  that  time.  At  this  meeting  the  following  board  of  trustees  was elected: 

  • President – Leonard  Rogers
  • Secretary – James  McEndoe 
  • Treasurer – John Childs  
  • James  Chatman  
  • James  Williams
  • George  Bermett 
  • George Tuckett
  • E.  R.  Bartel

From  1880  until  1882  services  were  held  in  Bennett’s  hall;  it  was  in  the latter  year  that  the  present  church  edifice  was  erected  on  land  purchased from  Anthony  Smith.  The  work  was  completed  and  the  church  dedicated, August  27,  1882,  on  which  occasion  Rev.  W.  L.  Barringer  officiated. 

It  is  a frame  structure  located  on  Seventh  street  between  Arch  and  Chestnut,  and has  a  capacity  for  seating  two  hundred  thirty  persons.  The  trustees  at  the time  of  its  erection  were  Leonard  Rogers.  James  Gilton,  Richard  Tuckett, and  John  Banghart. 

The  following  are  the  names  of  some  of  the  ministers:

  • James  Millington 
  • E.  Humphries 
  • Francis  Gray 
  • Thomas  Philips
  • H.  G.  Barringer 
  • H.  Reily 
  • A.  Humphries
  • George  Ball 
  • J.  C.  Ludgate, the  present  pastor (1890)

The  Sunday  school  connected  with  this  church  was  organized  in  1871.